Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thankful Thursday

Today I am going to deviate from my normal format. Please bear with me. I am not sure where I am going with this exactly but these thoughts are heavy on my heart and mind.


The other night on Primetime there was a special about pregnant teenagers choosing to give up their babies for adoption. A few years ago I probably could have watched the episode and been fairly unaffected by it; however, that was not the case on Tuesday night...

It was pure agony watching these young girls go through the pain of childbirth, touch and love on their babies, and then make the final decision to hand over their flesh and blood to the adoptive parents. For the girls featured, it was not an easy decision. They knew it was the right thing but I am quite sure not a day goes by that they don't think about the child they gave up.

Since that night I've thought a lot about Lindy's birth mother. Again I find myself wondering about her situation and why she couldn't keep Lindy. I have tried to imagine what her days have been like since she gave up Lindy. Does she cry? Is she broken-hearted? Does she have peace knowing she did the right thing or is she in constant turmoil? Not long ago I had someone tell me they have no respect for a woman who could abandon her baby. She said, "if women in China can do this, China is a country we need to fear." I was stunned at her comment and I did my best to defend the woman who gave my daughter life. I don't believe for one minute Lindy's birth mother is someone we need to fear. She is a victim of some very sad circumstances in her country. Her selfless acts gave me the daughter my heart ached for.

I have also been thinking about the fact that God has adopted me as one of His own. To adopt me, He paid the price of giving up His one and only son. I know that HAD to be an agonizing decision. He chose me and loved me so much that He let Jesus die on the cross. Wow!

Adoption whether it is domestic, international, opened, closed, or spiritual is a really complex topic and is not without cost of some sort for all parties involved. So today as I ponder these thoughts floating around in my head, I am thankful for Lindy's birth mother who chose a better life for her daughter and for God who adopted me as His own so that I could one day live with Him for eternity.

What are you thankful for today?

10 comments:

Jill said...

I saw that same special, and it really touched me. Lindy is lucky to have had a birth mother that loved her enough to make the right decision for her, and she's also so lucky to have a mom who loves her so much and will teach her about the most important of all adoptions...the one from God.

Adele said...

I feel exactly as you do on this subject. I am so thankful that Mallory's birth mother chose life for her. I always talk about adoption with people and relate it to how God adopts us as His children. It makes me really wish that everyone had a heart for adoption. Every child deserves a family. I am thankful today for my family and how God has blessed me with my daughter. I am also thankful I found your blog and that you are my new blogging friend. :)

redmaryjanes said...

Amen!
I could not agree with you more. These women in China risk a lot to make sure that their babies are left in places where they will be found. It is illegal in China to abandon your baby. Some women travel hundreds of miles to seek out a safe place and hide to make sure that the child is found.
I see a lot of hits on my blog from China and I know that many of us do and I wonder if it isn't the mothers looking for their daughters, hoping to see something familiar in a face and know that she is safe and being loved.
It pains me to know that I will not be able to find a way back to Sophia's birthmother to let her know that her child is loved and is my princess.
I am too am thankful to God that I am his adopted daughter.

Dr. Lurch said...

I saw the special and was very touched. I think Lindy could not have had a better mother, both birth, and adoptive.

Amanda said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Jeremy and I have toyed with the idea of adopting, but we are not near that point yet.

I am thankful that there are loving people who will take in those precious babies.

I am also thankful that I have a loving family, on both sides.

Laura said...

I saw that special too.... I swear I cried through the whole thing, and Avery's birthmother was also on my mind.
To that woman who made the comment about women in China abondoning their babies, you should have reminded her that women in the US also abondon thier babies... in trashcans and dumpsters! So there is no reason to be so superior to "those Chinese". Uggg.... people make me sick!

3 Peanuts said...

Lisa,

That was beautifully written. I saw that special too and it really affected me. Seeing how really difficult it was on the birth mothers was eye opening. Once I got Kate I realized how hard it had to befor her birth mom but before that I just didn't think much about it. I am SO thankful for the woman that was BRAVE enough to do the right thing for her child.

I also never thought about God adopting us as his children. I have a very strong faith; I just never though about it in those terms.

Blessings,
Kim

Thank you for sharing this.

Lori said...

Lisa, this is a great post, what a compassionate heart you have!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

ps Thank you so much for always leaving such kind comments and thoughts! I'm beginning to depend on hearing from you each morning! ;)

DiJo said...

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!!!
Love,
Di

Heather said...

Oh Lisa - you said it so well - I felt exactly the same! Thanks for putting into words what I could not!

Heather