Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Happy Lighthouse Day

I bet you didn't know today is National Lighthouse Day. In 1989, Congress designated August 7th as National Lighthouse Day. I think there is something so lonely and romantic about lighthouses and their keepers. Unfortunately, so many of our lighthouses have been forgotten and neglected and they don't quite stand as proud as they used to. I got to thinking about the purpose of lighthouses--to warn and help sailors stay or get back on course. Then I thought about the lighthouses in my life. Whoever is reading, I hope you have at least one person in your life at all times who shines brightly and helps you stay on course. Enjoy the day!
The Light --by Hattie Vose Hall

I am the light, holding
Nightly my torch on high;
Under me surge the waters,
Over me bends the sky.

Year after year I stand here
Holding my steady light,
Sending its ray of comfort
Into the darkest night.

Many a man has served me,
Tending the Light with care,
Many a vanished footstep
Passed by my winding stair.

Years pass and men pass with them,
Never my light grows dim,
One hands the torch to another,
Others will follow him.

So are the centuries moving,
Still serving men am I,
Constant through gales of winter
Calm beneath summers sky.

Lights are the hope of seamen,
Warning of rock and shoal,
We are the danger-stations,
We are the sea-patrol!

1 comment:

PandaMom said...

Hey, nice to meet you! Your daughter is darling! I look forwarding to following your journey to #2! ; )