Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thankful Thursday

We just got back from a vacation to the city of brotherly love--Philadelphia. When local friends heard we were going there for vacation, many of them actually said with a somewhat puzzled expression, "Why???" I think those who didn't say it, thought it...There were many reasons we chose this location.

First, my family lived in the northern suburbs of Philadelphia for eight years. Here is a BLURRY picture of our old house.Although I don't have a true hometown, PA is where I feel like I grew up. We have friends in the area and it had been over 13 years since we'd been there. When my dad and I found VERY low airfare to the area, it was a no-brainer and absolutely too good to refuse. We'd have the opportunity to see each other, see friends, experience the town as tourists, be in a part of the country we love, and take in the beauty of the season.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

I could go on and on about our trip. We had such a nice time. I have to admit, though, it was a bittersweet, somewhat emotional trip for me. Memories that had been stored very far away in the recesses of my brain were awakened. I wish some of them were clearer than they are. As we drove back and forth, little memories would come back. I often felt like I was in a Bon Jovi or Bruce Springsteen video about reliving my glory days or coming home again. (Funny, I did hear a lot of Bruce and Bon Jovi!) Every once in a while, I was a bit freaked out knowing I could possibly run into someone I knew long ago. I was also amazed to see how much had changed in certain areas, yet other areas looked almost completely as I'd remembered them.

As I reflect on our trip, there are many things I am thankful for but here are a few on my mind...

I am thankful I got to see my parents. When you live away from family, you never know when the next get together will be. It is important to enjoy the time together and that we did! Where to next, Mom & Dad???

I am thankful I had the opportunity to meet Heather and her beautiful family. Heather is a friend I've met in the Chinese adoption community. We've been corresponding for over a year and I've never felt like we're strangers. Meeting Heather and being in her company was just as natural as sitting with someone I'd known forever. She was so warm, loving, and sweet. Watching our girls play together in their lovely home and our husbands comfortably visit was so special. The saddest part was knowing it was only temporary and that we'd have to say, "goodbye." Thank you Heather for spending time with me and welcoming my family into your home. You are a beautiful person in thought and deed!


I am thankful we had the chance to see Chris and Megan and their kiddos again. Chris and Megan were our closest friends when we lived in Maine as newlyweds. We spent holidays together, vacationed to Bermuda together, and Megan and I traveled to Italy for three weeks together in 1995 to visit Chris and Don while they were deployed for seven months. Chris and Megan opened our eyes to international adoption and are a huge reason we have Lindy. It all started with a beautiful blonde-haired, blue-eyed boy from Russia who came home in 1998!!! We hadn't seen them since 2000. Their kids were toddlers the last time we were together and now they're BIG!!! It is always a fun time when we're together. I am hoping they'll be able to come visit us soon!
I am thankful we got to see Katie (Megan's little sister) and meet her husband and sweet daughter Olivia. Katie was a huge help and source of encouragement to me as we were paperchasing for Lindy. They were about six months ahead of us and Katie gave me so much advice and filled me in on all the details of their experiences as they brought Olivia home. Katie gave me the best packing list, too. It was so much fun to finally see our Hunan beauties playing together.
I am thankful we got to see Donna and her family. Donna and I have been friends since 7th grade. We pretty much grew up together and were the best of friends. We went to church together, went to high school together, lived in the same neighborhood during high school, saw each other through many hard times, and also had way too much fun. The last time I saw Donna was in 1995, during a brief visit to Maine. Her oldest was just three weeks old. She just turned 13 two weeks ago. Again, I'm reminded at how fast time flies. Donna surprised all of us by leaving two wonderful gift baskets in our room as well as a huge tote of toys for Lindy to borrow. These baskets were filled with local goodies including soft pretzels, Amish baked goods, and locally renowned Tastykakes. I was overcome with tears at her incredibly thoughtful gesture.
I am thankful for our founding fathers and the wonderful history of our nation that took place in this historic city. Hearing the stories of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution once again, I am reminded how blessed we are to have so many freedoms as a result of the brave men and women who fought hard for them. I am also reminded it is important to not take them for granted. In a day or two, I will vote for a new president and vice president. I am thankful I have the freedom to vote--something a woman wasn't always allowed to do...


I am thankful that I got to experience my favorite season in my favorite area. While it wasn't the most stunning fall to ever hit that area, I felt like I was surrounded by beauty the entire time. The rolling hills (I still call the Pocono Mountains), the lush greens, the beautiful golds, reds, and oranges, the fantastic mums, the gorgeous homes, the lovely countryside all so beautiful. I loved the chill in the air during the crisp mornings and the beautiful blue sky we had each day. We were blessed with safe travels, perfect weather, and a fantastic time.

I am thankful for provision to take this trip and all the details that made it so special. I am also thankful for Don who indulged me as I took my trip down memory lane and his amazing driving abilities to and fro! He was the most amazing chauffeur!!!

What are you thankful for today?

14 comments:

Jenn said...

Yeah! Your back!! Looks like you had a fabulous time seeing old and new friends! Such great pictures too. You have LOTS to be thankful for!

Blessings,
Jenn

Amie said...

You always have the greatest thankful Thursdays!!! Glad you got to spend some quality time with your family and with so many wonderful friends!

good to have you back!

:)
Amie

Jcbaron99 said...

I really needed a Thankful Thursday start for my morning from you. Thank you for that.
I'm so excited for you that you were able to go back and visit the east coast and share it with Don and Lindy. I imagine about going back to Annapolis like that one day. I'm sure it would be a very nostalgic trip for ma as well.

Sheri said...

What an incredible trip for you! It's always fun to take a little trip down memory lane. How very exciting that you got to meet Heather and her sweet family in person!!

Cammie said...

OOOOHHHHH! A REAL Autumn! I am so jealous!

Football and Fried Rice said...

What an awesome trip! And the fall pictures make me jealous too!! GORGEOUS! Great to see you with family and extra special to drive by your old house...

Michelle R Photography said...

Hi Lisa,
Wow!! You did so much and visited with so many. What wonderful memories. I just love the picture of you and Heather. Two beautiful ladies - both inside and out. And the picture of Lindy, Emily & Hannah - what an adorable threesome!

I'm glad you're back. You've been missed.

Hugs,
Michelle

The Oswalds said...

Looks like a great vacation. Too bad you were on the east coast and we didn't get to meet. One of these days! Glad you had fun with your family.

love,
Shauna

Jennifer said...

What a great Thankful Thursday! Glad you had a great time in PA.

Jen

mommy24treasures said...

it does look and sound like you had such a wonderful time!
I am so glad you and Heather had the opportunity to meet one another. The girls look like they hit it off so well!

DiJo said...

I am so glad you had a fabulous trip!!!!! And, of course I am thrilled you finally got to meet Heather in "real" life!!!!! What a blessing that Lindy is such an awesome traveler! She reminds me of Miss AInsley! No comments on the Her Rubiness.. I will hold judgement! :)

Welcome back! BTW: It snowed here today! Yes, it is October 26th in case you were checking your calendar!!

Love ya,
Diana

Heather said...

Beautiful post - how is it I thought I already commented here? So glad you had a lovely walk down memory lane with some new additions to boot;)

We absolutely loved being with you and I was most pleased our husbands and children enjoyed each other so much. The girls mention Lindy every day!

Sorry you have to get back to the grind:( But, I will cherish our time together and look forward to when we might be together again.

Love,
Heather

Anonymous said...

Lucky you! I loved the family picture too. Hope to meet the blog buddies someday!

Karen said...

Sounds like a wonderful vacation!!

Karen