Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Mid-day meal monotony


I need a little help...Lindy starts back to preschool this week and I realized that means I better have some lunch box appropriate stuff in the house.

I don't think lunch is really her favorite meal (it definitely isn't mine, either), so I've got that working against me and then there's that whole issue of her being social and not really getting to the business of eating while she's at school.

So, won't you please let me sneak a peek into your lunch box and see what you pack your kiddos??? I'd love to hear your ideas for healthy lunches! And, hey, I'll trade you my pb&j for whatever you've got in there...

4 comments:

Jcbaron99 said...

That's such a hard one. My kids are not "lunch food" kids. What I do often are things like Quesdillas, Healthy Chicken nuggets (wheat flour ones). Summer loves soup in a thermos. For the quesadilla and the nuggets - I bake them as usual, then cool them on a cookie cooling rack (this way they don't get soggy from cooling on a plate or in baggie) Fresh fruit always on the side and a cheese stick or yogurt. Don't know if this will help. Good luck!! If you get any good ideas throw them my way I SOOOO need them!!!

Shannon West said...

I've been getting those mini-lunchables for B, with sugar snap peas and carrots on the side, and an apple or applesauce. Katie and Anna ate those orange pb crackers, with a cheese stick and vienna sausages, and raisins. (Maybe by making their preschool lunches so unexciting, I've instilled an interest in cafeteria foods - although I don't really give them the choice now!)

Unknown said...

Did I just read that Mommy Baron bakes Chicken nuggets for her kids? In the morning? Really early? Kuddos to her! I buy turkey and ham at the deli sliced on a 3 or 4 and use mini cookie cutters to cut different shapes depending on the season or holiday. Cooper really likes the little gingerbread man (during the regular time of year he is just a man). This allows him to eat the head off first and make it a little story while eating, "aauugh my head, aauugh my arm etc..." Mason likes pasta plain so once a week I make a little extra for dinner and then put the leftovers in a baggie. I heat it up the next morning and put it in a little round thermos that I found at HEbutts place of goodies. Then I usually add fruit or fruit snacks, something crunchy, a treat and a drink. - I tend to over pack so they can choose what they want for lunch and snack. Good Luck!

Football and Fried Rice said...

I thought I was a super Mom by packing their favorite: sliced salami (deli), cheese cubes & townhouse crackers. Homemade lunchables!! I always, always give them cookies. Their friends think they are the "luckiest"!!!!!!