Reading is a pretty big thing around our house. Without a doubt, the majority of the reading going on these days is with Lindy. Lindy loves to be read to and look at books. From day one with her, we have encouraged this activity. That's Don reading to her on our second day together in China.
I love to read but don't read as often or in the same manner as I did before we brought Lindy home. I just don't seem to have the time or energy. Do you hear me on this one?
Before Lindy came home, I used to love to devour the latest Mary Higgins Clark novel or be swept away as I read Nicholas Sparks. However, now I read snippets of devotional books, consider yummy recipes in cookbooks as I plan menus (does that count as reading?), and look for tips in parenting books. I also am trying to be more dedicated about reading my bible. Okay, okay, I also spend time reading blogs, which brings me to my next subject--the fun part.
If you're reading this, there's a pretty strong chance you spend some (or a lot of) time reading blogs, too. I am going to treat one reader to a Barnes & Noble gift card. All you have to do is leave a comment by SEPTEMBER 15, 2008. Don't know what to say??? Tell me what your favorite book is...tell me what you're reading right now...tell me what you like to read...tell me your favorite author...tell me the worst book you've ever read...tell me how you'd spend the gift card...introduce yourself if you've never commented...tell me ANYTHING...It's really pretty easy.
Lindy will choose a winner on September 16th...
Until then, happy reading.
21 comments:
Oh, how FUN :)
I am reading "Wild Swans". Actually I was reading it, not done yet, but I'll pick it back up when I have some uninterrupted free time ;) My current devotional is Experiencing God, my all-time favorite Bible study.
I just finished re-reading The Good Earth, how I love that one! We're getting ready to start a new Bible study, "One Month to Live".
Fun idea, Lisa!
I hear you on not having the time or energy. I do feel like I get my allotted reading time in. I must read "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" and "Polar Bear, Polar Bear" at least 50 times a day. But I'm so glad Morgandy has developed a love for books and the quality time it gives us.
Excellent idea about the B&N gift card. I know whoever wins will be super excited to use it.(Please don't count me in, though, B & N hasn't made it this far north I think :) )
What a fun post! I'm not much of a book reader but I am an avid cookbook reader and yes those do count! I do however love to read kid's books and so if spending a gift card it would have to be in the children's section. Next month I will begin to read as "the story lady" at Lifetime. I am really looking forward to it!
Hi Lisa!
I don't know that I have ever posted on your blog but I definitely love reading it. I really enjoy your thankful Thursdays. You have inspired me to find the things in my life to be thankful for. I do love to read but during the school year I don't get very much time to read. During the school year my reading is very limited. I do get to enjoy reading my Bible but other than that it is limited to reading for my grad class. My favorite author is probably Karen Kingsbury.
I have two reading "things" for Miss Lindy:
Great grandmother Elva, who is in heaven cooking wonderful Irish food for the angels, and tellng the saints on high to stop sticking their fingers in her pot..... used to read to me as she was my caretaker when I was not so much younger than Lindy is now.
She read me two things that to this day I can hear her voice in my head when I read these books:
"Horton Hears a Who" by Dr. Seuss. Grandma Elva did all the voices for all the Whos in Whoville and for Horton and his friends....and when she did the "YOP" at the end....it was a cross between hearing a thunder clap in summer where it made you jump a bit, and hearing something so warm and comforting, I smile even now about it, 30 years later.
"The Missing Piece" by Shel Silverstein. Grandma Elva read the "fleece my knees" phrase every time, without stumbling, without tiring, and without fail, and I can hear her voice so clearly in my head now as I read that book to myself, to my girls, to my cat....hearing grandma's voice brings her back to me, I think of her every day anyway...but these two books bring grandma's spirit back to me in a very strong, profound way that I carry with me in a soft little spot in my heart.
Bedtime wasn't bedtime without Grandma Elva reading.
I have a copy of both of these books, first editions, carefully wrapped in paper and put into little boxes, as I want to save them and read them to my own grand-babies some day. :)
Enjoy reading Lisa, Don and Lindy...it's one thing you are NEVER too old or too young to do. :)
Awww! love B&N!!! Grace and I go there and hang out in the chidren's section :)
Every night we read Dr. Seuss ABC, but her other favorite is The Lightlings by R.C. Sproul
Terrye in FL
I love Lisa See, she writes about China. Snowflower and the secret Fan was Faabulous!
Our kids love to read as well! We spend hours each day it seems with our noses in books and loving it!
I'm sure you have a wonderful time with Lindy reading as well!
Blessings,
Gayly
This is such a fun idea and, as you know, I'm a huge fan of your blog (I e-mailed you awhile back to introduce myself!). My little one loves Karen Katz books and Sandra Boynton books. We read books at least 2 times a day for 10-15 minutes. She loves books! My favorite fiction book is Jewel by Brett Lott - major tear jerker.
It's been fun reading all the responses!
Hi Lisa! This is a really fun idea! I just ordered Silent Tears for me and Over the Moon for Grace. She and I read every day and try to hit the library once a week. We also like B&N--what's not to like? Books, a Thomas train set, coffee (for me)...we can spend hours there! :)
Hope you're well! Give Lindy a squeeze from me.
Ginny
Woohoo, another brilliant idea my fine friend! I actually snuck in a copy of US this week - what do you mean that's not reading, yeah, I guess I was looking at the pictures of JLos rapid weight loss and Angelina's post partum breakdown, okay ummmm, I read my Jesus Calling everyday and the Bible everyday. I am working on reading some B-O-O-K-S in the near future - this mothering thing has killed my reading life:)))
Thanks for having this terrific brainstorm - you are a gem!
Love you!
Heather
Hey Lisa,
With the kids we always have a big story time after bath. They each get to pick one book - Noah always picks something relating to Thomas, Cars, etc.. We have started reading chapter books with Summer. She is really into The Magic Treehouse series and we are on book 11 with that and she really loves the non-fiction "research" companions that go along with it. Then we always read a bible story and kids devotional.
Me, I'm magazine junkie, read stacks of cookbooks from the library. Lately the best series I have read is by Leslie Curtis Higgs - Fair is the Rose. Loved it! And another favorite that I've read several times is the Echo in the Darkness series by Francine Rivers.
John just reads medical journals.
Mia loves storytime and usually picks out 2-3 books. I am currently reading a book about President Lincoln in his prepresidental years. I also love a good mystery and magazines. Hershel choice of reading material consists of Wake Boarding magazines.
I just got "The Lamb-A-Roo" in the mail today & I love it & can't wait to read it to Mya! We also have always loved the Sandra Boynton board books. Love 'em. Target sells them in boxed sets - which I have been eyeballing too :=)
We love Barnes & Noble too!! Starbucks AND books? It is like Heaven en earth!!!
I am starting Daniel by Beth Moore on Tuesday. I can't wait to get back on the study wagon!
Thanks for hosting this giveaway!!!
I just got done reading the Twilight series. I love Mary H-C and Nicholas Sparks!!! I really want to buy and read "The Shack". I have been hearing such positive things from blogs--go figure. So, if I am the lucky winner that is what I will purchase!
I love to read!! My family are all big readers and to this day my Sister and I read a lot. I enjoy reading James Patterson, Catherine Coulter, and Mary Higgins Clark...I love a good mystery. I would like to read the book The Shack...I've heard it's wonderful.
Books are my favorite gifts for my niece and nephew. I just recently bought my niece the book, "Madeline Loves Animals", she adores this book.
I'll stop now...I could go on and on about books. :)
Great Blog! Popping over from Livin Lavida Lia. I am Kate's friend Jen. I just finished reading "Love the one your with" by Emily Giffin. Cute girly book~easy read. I don't read as much as I used to either. I started "Salem Falls" by Jodi Piccoult last night.
Jen
This is a GREAT idea Lisa!
Karl and I go for our "date nights" to B&N for book browsing and coffee. We were there just last night! :o)
I just finished reading "Silent Tears" and am now reading "Toddler Adoption"....go figure! :o)
My favorite books to read are the kind that let you escape from life for just a little bit. My ALL TIME favorite is a series of books by Jan Karon, "The Mitford Series". Love them, love them, LOVE THEM!!
Blessings,
Jenn
I love books by Stormie O'Martian but haven't found much time to read here lately in the past year. Good post!
Oh my goodness, I am finally catching up over here and noticed your giveaway, and I still have time to enter! I don't get to read much lately but have really tried to read more this year. My friend got me hooked on Karen Kingsbury and I am reading the Redemption series, I am on the third one right now Return. I am addicted to these books! Snowflower was one of my favorite books but I ready Peony in Love the sequel and didn't like it as well.
I don't get much time to read for myself but do read lots of childrens books. My favorite for little girls are PINKALICIOUS and FANCY NANCY. They are very cute and girly. My daughter loves them.
I have a stack of books on my bedside table to get to...Jan Karon (LOVE the Mitford series), Molokai, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Chasing Harry Winston, and I could go on.
I also love cookbooks...Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa series are wonderful!
Thanks for your generous give-a-way!
Post a Comment