Friday, November 2, 2007

The streak is broken!!!

For those of you who know me, you know I'm not much of an outdoorsy girl. I love nature but I'm not really into roughin' it and camping. I'd much prefer to go to the Westin and sleep in a big fluffy bed, have a steak dinner by candlelight, and have chocolate torte or mousse instead of s'mores. Don, however, loves the outdoors and loves to camp. He's all about the campfire, the camp food, and roasting marshmallows.

Since we've been married we've camped a handful of times. If there is a drought and I camp, the drought will end. If there's been a hot spell and I camp, a cold front will come through. It's pretty much a given...

A few months ago--in a moment of insanity--I (yes I) suggested to some friends we plan a camping trip. Helloooo, Lisa--you have a two year old!!! Anyway, we planned a camping trip with three other families and it took place last weekend. I am happy to report it did not rain, there was no wind, and it was not hot. It was a bit chilly but not unbearable. The weather was gorgeous! I broke the streak!!!

It was a tiring but fun weekend. Lindy had tons of fun playing with the eight other kids. She says her favorite part of camping was the graham crackers and "s'nores." I can't say tent camping with a two year old (in a pack-n-play) is the best arrangement. I spent much of the night awake worrying about whether she was too cold. I also had to just let it go and accept that she was going to get dirty. After a while I gave up my quest to keep her clean and her hands sanitized. It was really all futile. Don and I had fun visiting with our friends, eating way too much, and spending time around the campfire. I am still trying to get the campfire smell out of my hair!

Here are some pictures of our first family camping trip weekend at Palmetto State Park.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I must admit, I hate camping. That being said, I go camping a lot. Your trip looks too fun!

Some great times with good friends, can't beat that (or snores!)

Love,
H

Jcbaron99 said...

That looks like so much fun. We haven't braved it with the kids yet in tents. Summer has camped in the camper with Nonna and Opa and thought that was super fun.
I still love the picture of her sleeping with her "rag" (what does she call it?). Noah still has his.
Camping trips with a groups of friends is the best!
Love,
Cristie

Jaime said...

I am a little bit hurt that we weren't invited, but you know that neither Ben nor I are too in to the outdoors. Smores...yes, tents...NO! Glad y'all had a fun time. I am sure the kiddos had a ball!

3 Peanuts said...

Lisa,

I am with you...I am a Hill Country Hyatt fan myself (LOVE their Spa!). Can you beleive I have never been camping in a tent as an adult (girl scouts maybe?) I am so proud of you. It looks like fun too! I love the photo of lindy and Sparky. What a pretty dog. Kate loves dogs too.
Hugs,
Kim